In September I stood down after two years as president of ATASDA, resulting in time to weave plus a need for more thankyou cards.
Happily I could combine both in a really fun project. I put on a long, narrow warp in cottolin. I wanted to continue the experimentation of the freestyle scarf, but increase the possibilities by using a rosepath threading (4, 3, 2, 1, 4, 1, 2, 3 repeat). I didn’t use the traditional binder between pattern wefts (for that see my class sampler here). Instead I dug through various drawers and boxes and created a huge, messy, colourful pile of yarns and fabrics – and just went for it.
There’s a mixture of plain weave and the simplest rosepath lifting; clasped weft, inclusions; various silk yarns I’ve dyed, plus thrums from past projects; ripped strips of fabric, mostly silk tissue, organza and habutai, but a few satins and synthetics. Basically nothing was safe!
I had a size in mind for the card fronts, hemstitched at beginning and end of each … and just wove. Sometimes I’d think a few changes ahead, sometimes just the whim of the moment.
I ended with 20+ cards – and am finding it a little difficult to part from them 🙂
June to September was tricky time-wise for me, and for a couple of months the looms were empty. However it wasn’t totally without weaving.
This little treasure pouch is about 9 x 15 cm (say 3.5 x 6 inches). It was made on a piece of cardboard with some notches cut in to hold the warp, using instructions in Kids Weaving by Sarah Swett (on Amazon here). Rather than using a yarn needle to weave in the weft, I wrapped some tape around the end of the yarn to stiffen it and just used my fingers. I took the pouch and a bag of supplies to a family lunch as an activity for my nieces and nephews, but the cousins were having so much fun running around together that we didn’t get to it. Perhaps another day – one in particular I think might enjoy it, though the others might find it a bit slow.
The second off-loom project was really more felting – but still with a weaving element so I’m counting it! I needed to send some thank you cards. I used some merino wool top that I dyed and carded a year or two back. Each colour fibre was laid out separately and made into sheets of pre-felt (meaning the fibres are lightly tangled/felted so it holds together, but there’s still a lot of shrinkage and toughening up to go). Then I cut up each sheet into strips, and it was like weaving with paper in primary school. Finally I carefully finished felting each woven square – you can see some bits went a bit haywire.
The cards went to thank fibre-y folk who had donated prizes for an ATASDA raffle. Diane Groenewegen is a very accomplished textile artist (her ATASDA member gallery page is here), and when I visited her studio on an open-day my card was pinned up on display (reflected glory!). Another recipient of my little cards was Beatrice Jackson, also an ATASDA member and a wonderful weaver – Beatrice and some of her work can be seen here. ATASDA is lucky to have members who are not only incredibly gifted in their own work, but also willing to support the group plus encourage relative newbies like me.