Project 9 Woven Structures Stage 3 part 2

In the first part of this Stage (blogged 21-Oct-2012) I attempted to create woven surface textures based on some photographs taken on King Island. Next I needed to develop a sample based on some of the most exciting results.

I tried to develop some ideas in my sketchbook, but it was a struggle – too much structure and I lost any connection to seaweed, too little and I had an amorphous blob (see my sketchbook entries from 14-Oct-2012). Eventually I finished with this photo of the seaweed on stones, and made a rough weaving plan. The spun newspaper could suggest the stony beach and a range of black texture effects used to give the impression of a path of seaweed sweeping across the image from foreground to background.


Things I like:
* The piece is about 22 x 14 cm, and quite by accident reminds me of a holiday postcard.
* The newspaper works well as a background-with-character.
* The variety of textures, techniques and shape give the impression of movement and distance. There is insect screen, neoprene tubing and tissue paper. Techniques are plain weave, 5-end satin, soumak and ghiordes knots.
* The neat top and bottom edges support the postcard idea. The bottom is a kind of chaining of the loops of warp that were over the warp rod. At the top I did some plain weave, a row of soumak to make a clean turning edge, and some more plain weave to form a hem at the back.

Things that could be better:
* I really don’t like the way the warp becomes visible on the black towards the top. I wanted a smooth progress of texture. I tried a couple of other yarns to get better coverage, but the changes in colour and texture were jarring. I had been careful with my planned yarns to introduce them gradually. Better yarn selection from the start would help. A black warp could work, although this would have an impact on the background, resulting in a grid effect. I could also try painting the warp in the planned seaweed area prior to weaving.
* While I like the effect of the neoprene picks across the whole width (they create some visual continuity and provide some needed structure, as well as making it clear that this isn’t an attempt at realism), it would be interesting to vary the width of the lines from bottom to top to increase the sense of depth.
* The shaping at the top doesn’t work. It’s made worse by a couple of bad choices on the slope of the curve, plus the variation in colour of the newspaper. This could be improved by practice in the technique and more considered selection of parts of newspaper to use.
* I don’t think it’s apparent in the result, but I had a lot of difficulties weaving with the paper. Improved spinning technique and a wider shed on the loom would assist.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Instagram

Germination II
In Basketry NSW Transformation exhibition Sunday 2 July. More info fibresofbeing.wordpress.com

Calendar of Posts

October 2012
M T W T F S S
« Sep   Nov »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Archives

Categories


%d bloggers like this: