Archive for October 24th, 2011

Stage 5 – small samples of texture

In stage 5 was the suggestion of working a small sample relating some of the stitch texture effects to drawings. I packed a small set of supplies on holiday and found stitching a restful end to the days spent in Perth.

I decided to try variations of chain stitch. The section on the left was based on rust. I’d taken a series of photos while we were travellings (a few are on my new Rust sketchbook page), and based on them attempted a couple of small, woeful sketches (here). Time to move on to stitch – but I was rather pleased to find myself sketching out a rough plan first.

I wanted a layered and crusty effect, so started by scrunching up and overlaying some scraps of orange and brown silk organza. I couched these down with a series of threads of various weights – wool, silk and cotton. There’s chain stitch, detached chain and twisted chain. The stitches are worked over and around each other, trying for an uneven surface and a mix of colour. Some stitches were worked quite loosely, to get a flakey, peeling effect.

I don’t think the result looks like rust, although if I explain it people go “Oh, OK – I can see that”. I like the varying density of stitches, sometimes deeply layered, sometimes quite sparse and allowing the organza to show through. I also think chain stitch was a good choice for the spotty appearance common in rust. However I think there is too much orange and also too much shine from some of the threads. I’m not sure how this would work in an actual piece – there’s no focus or real movement, but it’s probably a bit too busy for a background.

The sample on the righthand side doesn’t have a specific image source. I was thinking of callistemon (photos on this website) and also wanted to try layers of raised chain band based on an illustration on page 137 of Stitch Magic (Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn). The base stitches are in cotolin, the rest is mostly perle cotton and silk. I built up layers of stitch going from browns through various greens, working very loosely and both up and down to get a random, wild effect. The flowers have a base of orange 20/2 silk, then doubled perle cotton using a higher tension than the leaves. I’m happy with the result. The different weights and working of the leaf and flower stitches, combined with the contrasting colours, are in my eyes strongly reminiscent of the plants. I also like the shine and liveliness – like seeing the callistemon on a bright sunny day. I think the least successful part is the transition from the heavy stitching to the background fabric. The overall shape isn’t right.

I find the two sections together interesting. I had a very limited set of threads and fabric, kept to one basic stitch, but got quite different effects.


No Instagram images were found.

Calendar of Posts

October 2011

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.