This is the completed scarf, from the same warp as the sampler I wrote about here.
I spent some time in Fibreworks PCW, trying to modify the sine curve pattern to avoid long floats without having to resort to an extra tabby weft (since I didn’t like the impact on look or handle in the sampler). What I ended with, after washing and pressing, is a long way from the original design. Instead of a sinuous vertical line along the length of the fabric, I have an angular line. The straight twill at the pivot point of the “curve” has become a horizontal band which is very apparent both visually and to touch.
- small changes can have a big impact
- using a temple helped improve consistency of beat and selvedge
- be careful the conclusions you draw from a sample. I didn’t like the moss green section of the sample and was worried when my MIL chose that colour for the scarf. I love the colour in the final product – maybe the yuk pattern or the impact of other areas of the sampler put me off.
Although it didn’t go according to plan, I love the end result. It drapes nicely and to my eye has an elegant and classic look.